The architecture of ¡Explora! is colorful and playful. It beckons children of all ages to come in and have fun learning.
The Borowski Residence design emphasizes home, hearth, and light. A simple palate of materials and careful detailing are used to execute three levels of space in an unusual way.
On a hill at the edge of the Moreno Valley in northern New Mexico, two
curved, white planes soar toward the sky. Where the surfaces almost meet is the Peace
and Brotherhood Chapel, the major feature of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
The University of New Mexico’s basketball arena is known nationally for the atmosphere created by the sunken court. The noise level created at a game generated the name, “The Pit.” However, the most interesting architectural aspect of “The Pit” is the way it was built.
The Nob Hill District was Albuquerque’s first suburban shopping area based on the automobile. Central Avenue, a part of historic Route 66, is the backbone of this district. Catering to the 1930s residential area that developed east of UNM, the Nob Hill commercial area fostered a wide range of architectural styles.
The architecture of Atrisco Heritage Academy High School is as bold and proud as were the original settlers of the Atrisco Land Grant given by King Philip II of Spain to colonists in 1598.
This handsome public building provides an important cultural focus for the developing West Side of Albuquerque.
The City of Rocks State Park’s Visitor Center enhances the natural resource without competing with it. The dramatic rock façade is camouflaged to match the landscape.
The Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts appears to be more a geological find than a piece of architecture.
An innovative educational program, its architectural form, unscheduled collaboration spaces, and its colorful facades distinguish this school’s design.
The Albuquerque Museum has served as a major attraction for the city since it outgrew its first home, at the Sunport, becoming more dynamic over the years . . .
Designed to accommodate a wide variety of uses—from fitness to art classes and more—for citizens of all ages, Manzano Mesa was the first such facility . . .
Isotopes Park is a near 100% replacement of the original Albuquerque Dukes stadium (Albuquerque Sports Stadium) on this site. . . .
The intersection of Montgomery and San Mateo Boulevards is one of the busiest in Albuquerque. . . .
The ABQ BioPark’s Botanic Garden opened in 1996; the site, shared with the facility’s Aquarium, fills 32 acres along the Rio Grande….
The Old Albuquerque High School complex dates to 1914. Its Gothic Revival style appearance—dark red brick, white trim, peaked pediments, and grouped windows—was the choice of many educational institutions across the country in the early 1900s. . . .
The National Hispanic Cultural Center (NHCC) is dedicated to the preservation, promotion, and advancement of Hispanic culture, arts, and humanities. The campus is composed of five buildings and a number of landscape features. The new buildings and landscapes are contemporary interpretations of a variety of styles related to the U.S. Southwest, Latin America, and the Iberian Peninsula. . . .
The Rio Grande Valley is a major migratory bird flyway and the Albuquerque Bosque is part of one of the longest Cottonwood forests in the world. As architect Antoine Predock has said of this site, “The building can be thought of as a permanent viewing blind set up with controlled apertures offering specific views of the wildlife in its natural habitat.” . . .